Trinidad’s little brother, Tobago is a popular destination for a Caribbean holiday. Find below why:
1. Tobago boasts year-round sunshine. Even in Caribbean terms, the island enjoys splendid weather. This is partly due to its location. Sheltered by the hard shoulder of South America, it lies outside the Atlantic hurricane belt — ensuring that the fierce storms that trouble the rest of the region between July and September rarely come its way!
2. Bird life is prolific. There are humming birds, Redbilled Tropic birds, migratory sea birds, falcons, magnificent frigate birds and dozens of other species to spot if you’re ornithologically inclined.
3. You can enjoy one of the Caribbean’s wackiest events – the annual Easter Tuesday races in Buccoo village date back 75 years and are woven into local lore. Expect goat races (with their own jockeys), crab races and a street party.
4. It is home to a fabulous jazz festival in April. Making waves since 2005, this famous event is held at various venues across the island. Previous performers have included Elton John, Diana Ross, Sting and its patron Stevie Wonder.
5. During the summer months lucky visitors can encounter the baby sea turtles, giant leatherback turtles, green turtles and hawksbill turtles that hatch on Stonehaven Bay and Turtle Beach on the island’s north-west coast.