Cancun is a coastal city situated on the east coast of Yucatan Peninsula, off of the Caribbean Sea in the Mexican state of Quintana Roo. The town is a major world-renowned beach destination offering to its local and international visitors a lot of lagoons with spectacular coral reefs, clear turquoise waters, and miles of sandy beaches providing great opportunities to practice water sports. Besides Cancun’s numerous beaches, tourists can choose every day a new beach on one of the nearest islands like Isla Mujeres, Isla Holbox, and Contoy. But Cancun isn’t famous for only its superb seaside; it is nestled among several significant Mayan Ruins making every history buff to come here even for a short vacation. Nature will surprise you at every step: many exotic flowers, such as flamboyances and amazing fauna like the prehistoric-looking iguanas, not to mention the aquatic wildlife with its thousands varieties of coral including rare black coral that can be spotted at Belize Reef – the fifth larger reef in the world and extends for more than 250 kilometers.
Weather in Cancun is tropical and humid with sunshiny year round, due to this fact you can plan your Cancun vacation in any time of the year. Temperatures vary from 20° to 30° C between October – March and from 22° to 33° C between April – September. Beginning with September and ending with November you can expect the rainy season accompanied by occasional evening downpours.
The official spoken language of Mexico is Spanish, but English is widespread in Cancun. Nevertheless learning several Spanish words like please, thank you, good bye will be a plus.
The easiest and cheapest way to move around Cancun is by public bus. For only 6,5 pesos (less than 50 cents) one way you can get from the Hotel Zone to almost anywhere. Buses run every hour from Downtown Cancun to Cancun Airport, which is situated about 10 km from the hotel zone and 15 from the Downtown Cancun. Taxi is much more expensive: one ride is about $8 but is much fast and convenient. To avoid possible disappointments, is better to confirm the price before you get in the taxi. Although you can always catch a taxi, ask the hotel receptionist where you stay to call a taxi.
Cancun is an excellent tourist attraction offering a variety of hotels and resorts such as the Villa del Palmar Cancun located adjacent to the beach. If you love beaches and visiting Cancun to spend some good time you will be surprised to learn that all rooms in Villa del Palmar Cancun Hotel face the beach offering an open and wide view of the Caribbean Sea. You can have your meals in the balcony, enjoy the day viewing the blue sea with fresh breeze and spend a great time. The rooms in Villa del Palmar Cancun are well cozy offering decent lightings with pleasant sitting facilities. You also get pleasant amnesties such as wireless internet, gym to stay fit on your vacation, ticketing and touring services, spa and health centers, and some good in-room facilities. Unfortunately pets are not allowed but you can still have a plenty of things to do such as you can enjoy their exclusive restaurants. Villa del Palmar Cancun is one of most reputable Cancun beach hotels here.
But if you are looking for all inclusive Cancun hotels then you can rely on the Grand Oasis Cancun All Inclusive located at one of the most exotic locations in Cancun. The hotel runs along the beach in length so you get a large beach front access all round the day. At Grand Oasis Cancun All Inclusive you will get maximum view of the hotel from your hotel room, spa, lounge, swimming pool, restaurants, anywhere you are in the hotel. Grand Oasis Cancun All Inclusive is located just a few kilometers from tourists’ attractions such as archeological sites, downtowns and shopping malls. The all-inclusive services and amenities include water activities such as windsurfing, on-land activities and sports including tennis, golf, soccer, volleyball and sport games lessons. You also get in-room services such as meals and drinks and beverages, entertainments and training lessons such as cooking and aerobics.
Other all inclusive Cancun hotels include Oasis Palm All Inclusive offering cozy staying for affordable rates. If you are visiting Cancun with your family and kids, Oasis Palm All Inclusive is the place for you as you will find a family and kids friendly environment here. You can also book rooms and suites with customized rooms made especially for kids with color designs and colorful decorations. You will also find friendly recreational activities such as water and children parks while you can enjoy the swimming pool. Oasis Palm All Inclusive is one of the best Cancun beach hotels suitable for family and kids as it offers a clear wide view of the beach from all rooms, and has a special Kids’ Club offering climbing walls, water activities and fun parks. It also has a number of restaurants offering a variety of meals in their menu for adults and kids.
Things to see
There are a lot of places to visit when traveling to Cancun. Whether you are a history buff, nature lover or you like hiking, Cancun has something to offer every visitor. Find below several places that you shouldn’t miss during your short/long trip to Cancun:
- Mayan Ruins are among the most popular tourist attractions in Cancun which is literally surrounded by many of them. Tulum is the nearest Mayan Ruins; it is located at only 130 km south of Cancun and sits on a cliff overlooking the clear crystal waters of the Caribbean. It dates from the Post-Classic period, around 1200 to 1500 A.D. and served as a trading port. Because of its great location, you can swim or rest on the best beaches in the world after you finish visiting the Ruins. Another Mayan Ruins worth a visit are the Chichen Itza located about 180 km away from Cancun. This site served as the economic and political center of the Mayan civilization between 750 and 1200 A.D. In 1988 it was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. There are a lot of features at Chichén Itzá which you shouldn’t miss, of which the El Castillo, Great Ballcourt and Temple of the Warriors. The Ruins are located next to couple of amazing natural Cenotes, and if you haven’t swim yet in a Centoe than you must experience! There are several hotels here in case you want to arrive the previous day and visit the Chichén Itzá in the morning before crowds begin.
- Nearby Islands. Cancun is surrounded by a number of spectacular islands with fantastic beaches and nature, all within easy reach. The most popular one is Isla Mujeres located at the North of Cancun. You will find here amazing beaches with turquoise waters and soft sand and a kind of Mexican small town atmosphere. Don’t miss the North Beach where water is so calm and clear like in a pool and walking around the downtown. Everything is near around so forget about cars, taxi and buses. Another island that worth a visit is Cozumel located at the South of Cancun and is Mexico's largest island. It is a mix of hotels, restaurants and clubs set amidst astounding natural beauty. The island is very popular cruise ship and scuba diving destination. Being surrounded by a superb coral reef, the island draws thousands of divers from around the world very year.
- Puerto Morelos is perfect for those looking for tranquility place to forget all about. Feel the breeze of the ocean while enjoying a delicious ceviche or some garlic shrimp in one of the waterfront restaurants. Don’t think this corner of heaven is only for romantics or old people, not at all! Only 500 meters away from the Puerto Morels beaches you will find the second largest coral reef system in the world. Here you can practice scuba diving, windsurfing, snorkeling and other water sports as much as you want!
- Cancun Underwater Museum is a mix of art and nature. Designed by the famous Sculptor Jason de Caires Taylor, Cancun Underwater Museum can be found off the shores of Punta Cancún, Punta Nizuc, and Manchones Reef in Isla Mujeres. About 400 lifelike statues lie on the ocean floor and are made of a material to promote coral growth. All of the statues have been placed in shallow areas, so that divers, snorkelers, and glass-bottom boats could enjoy them. The main goal of this project was to help restore the natural reefs that have suffered damage over the years.
- Interactive Aquarium is a wonderful place to enjoy the marine life. It is strategically located right in the heart of the hotel zone in the Isla Shopping Centre. Besides watching sea creatures swimming and learning fish species, visitors can feed sharks from a protected area, swim with dolphins etc.
- Museo de Antropologia e Historia is Cancun’s Museum of Anthropology and History. It can be found on the south side of the Centro de Convenciones, within the hotel zone. Visitors will find here jewelers, masks and even some skulls dating back to the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries.
- Museo de Arte Popular Mexicano is the place where you can learn more about Mexican culture and way of life. The museum boasts a large and unique collection of religious artifacts, masks, gourd art, traditional folkloric costumes, nativity scenes and musical instruments. Museo de Arte Popular Mexicano is located on the second floor of the El Embarcadero Marina, Bulevar Kukulkan Km 4
- La Torre Cancun ia located at Paseo Kukulkán Km 4 and is the place where you can enjoy the best view of Cancun. It is a rotating tower at the El Embarcadero Park and entertainment complex.
Things to do
There is a great array of activities you can do in Cancun. Many of them include several costs and a preventive planning, or you can buy them from the provider or through an agency. Most of the agencies offer extra values at the same price.
- Water Sports. Cancun is a dream for water sports lovers. All kind of water sports can be practiced in here. The most popular locations for scuba diving are the islands of Cozumel and Isla Mujeres; packages are available, most of them including transportation. Snorkeling can be enjoyed everywhere, nevertheless the best locations are away from Cancun proper. A lot of small water crafts including jet skis, parasailing and banana rides can be found at almost every beach. Families with children can choose the water park, where rivers, slides, wave making machine, a free fall thrill ride and restaurants will keep you entertained all day long.
- Nightlife. For those willing to hang out after a long day spent at the beach, Cancun is offering a number of nightclubs, discos and bars. The nightlife is energetic and will not let you to get bored. From discos going all night to fancy bars and from karaoke to bikini contests, Cancun is ready to keep you awake all night long!
- Beaches. Cancun boasts some of the most spectacular beaches in the world! No one can fail who chooses Cancun as a beach destination. There are two amazing beach zones to choose from: the northern beaches located north of the hotel zone and eastern side beaches located in the hotel zone. The northern beaches face Isla Mujeres that protects the beaches from bin waves. These beaches are ideal for families with children. Some of the most popular northern beaches are Playa Las Perlas, Playa Linda and Playa Langosta. Eastern beaches are open to the Caribbean Sea meaning that the waters are unpredictable. Nevertheless Cancun beach hotels and the marinas will alert you when is dangerous to swim. Some of the most popular eastern beaches are Gaviota Azul, Chac Mool and Playa Delfines.
- Submarine Tour. The Atlantis Submarine is a submarine providing a superb journey through the underwater reefs of Cozumel. The submarine has real portholes which allow you to marvel at the underwater world go by without getting wet. Atlantis Submarine can accommodate 48 passengers, is pressurized and air-conditioned and can complete up to seven dives daily. During your journey you will dive to depths of over 100 feet under the water. Be one of those six million of people who have already discovered why Cozumel is one of the top 5 dive destinations in the world!
- Cancun Shopping. Cancun is a dream for every shopaholic. From famous brand names to flea markets and from ultra-chic designer stores to souvenir shops Cancun has it all. Note that Cancun shopping is duty free so you can find some real bargains on cosmetics and jewelers. The most popular and glamorous place to go shopping is La Isla Shopping Center – an outdoor shopping center. It is located within the Hotels Zone, next to the Nichupte Lagoon. Shaded by a ceiling made up entirely of umbrellas, La Isla Shopping Center boasts some of the most exclusive stores in Cancun. The outside décor include also fountains, bridges and a small river. Between shopping brakes you can enjoy a coffee in one of its good restaurants.
- Swim with Dolphins. Swimming with dolphins is the most energizing activity you can practice when traveling to Cancun. Cancun is one of the few places in the world where you can swim with dolphins. There are a lot of places in and around Cancun where you can do that. Each of the dolphin facilities are excellent and there are best or worse places. You will have wonderful time no matter where you do the swim. Notice just that Delphinus offers the longest swim in Cancun, also offers free transportation from the Riviera Maya. A great all-inclusive package can be found at Isla Mijeres. Besides dolphin swims, visitors can snorkel with stingrays and sharks.
How to save money
- Don’t waste money on Spanish phrasebooks. Learning a foreign language is always welcome, but English language is widespread in Cancun, almost everyone speaks and understands English. Learn some words/phrases on internet before your departure, or watch 2-3 series from a Mexican soap. It was a joke!
- Move around Cancun by local public buses. They are everywhere, convenient and cheap! One ride is about 50 cents.
- Book a guest room in all inclusive Cancun hotels. They are a lot of all-inclusive hotels in Cancun at affordable prices. Forget about where to eat and drink (non-alcoholic and alcoholic drinks as well) during your vacation when booking an all-inclusive.
When to go
Cancun is blessed with sunshine year round; you can visit Cancun in any time of the year. The peak season is during December and April. Even though the crowds are heavier, we advise you to go in this period. You are guaranteed to experience amazing weather and find great deals for hotels and flights for a winter vacation at the beach. Other great periods to visit this corner of heaven and enjoy significant deals are late spring, summer and fall. Just notice that summers are very hot here, temperatures rise to 34° C and fall months are rainy.