Calnic Fortress Yard Calnic Fortress Yard

Calnic Fortified Town - a priceless inherritance

The Fortress of Calnic (Kelling) is located in village Calnic, Alba county, in the western part of Apold Depression, in a hilly valley crossed by Câlnic River - a tributary of the Secas River. The architectural monument is on UNESCO's list of World Heritage Sites.
Initially built as noble residence in the middle of the XIII-th century, by count Chyl of Kelling, the Câlnic Fortress (Alba county) was conceived as a massive building with a rectangular plan, used as dwelling, surrounded by massive walls that formed an oval chamber, with a southern tower and a northern gate tower. The water ditch that surrounded the fortress completed the defense system. Saxon residence until 1430, the fortress was sold by the last descendants of the noble family to the Saxon peasants from Câlnic who began to build new walls in the first half of the XVI-th century, then fortified the gate tower and built a chapel in the inner courtyard, on the ruins of an old construction. Some fresco fragments from the beginning of the XVI-th century are preserved inside the chapel, as well as the wooden tribune from 1733, decorated with Renaissance folk panels with floral paintings, being kept in the west wing. Supply pantries for difficult times were built in the interior courtyard, next to the walls. The construction of the second precincts, in the XVI-th century, required the raising of the building by two levels, reaching a height of over 20 meters, ensuring thus the efficiency of fire arms beyond the exterior wall. The fortress was restored by the Romanian Office of Historical Monuments between 1961-1964, the project belonging to the architect Stefan Blas. The old Evangelic vicarage is located in Câlniccommune, not far from the fortress, raised in the XVI-th century and enlarged in 1779. Climbing the alley near the vicarage you get to the Evangelic Church, located in the centre of the cemetry. Built in the XV-th century by the Saxon community, the Church at Deal was frequently modified in the XIX-th century, having a Neogothic look today. It also keeps manu sculpture elements from the initial phase: two tarbenacles, the portal of the vestry, in Gothic style and two pews, painted in baroque syle, daiting from the second half of the XVIII-th century. Câlnic Fortress, alongside the other historical monuments from The Internatioinal Scientific Cultural Centre, owned by the Institute of Archaeology and Art History of the Romanian Academy in Cluj-Napoca and the „Ars Transilvanae” Association in Romania. Many documentary and art exhibitions are organized inside teh fortress, the chapel becoming the lecture room where symposiums, discussions and conferences take place.
Today the fortress can be visited, mostly in organised groups. The visitors have the permission to enter the winery and climb up to the defensive tower. The old tower hosts a museum, with traditional and medieval art being displayed on two floors. Seen from above, the beautiful Saxon village with it’s traditional houses and tile roofs is amazing.
Bookmark and Share