Parliament Building of Hungary Parliament Building of Hungary

Parliament Building of Hungary

The building of Budapest Parliament is the third largest parliament in the world, the second largest in Europe and the largest building in Hungary. Being one of Hungary's top tourist destinations, it stretches between Chain Bridge and Margaret Bridge on the Pest bank of the Danube. It draws attention from almost every riverside point. The best panorama of this immense edifice can be viewed from the Gellért Hill and the Castle Hill on the opposite bank of Danube.
Until the 19th century the Hungarian diet held its sessions in different parts of the county. In the Reform Era it was decided to build a House of a Motherland. The country leaders chose the Pest bank of the Danube as premise, to counterweight the Royal Palace rising high on the other side of the river. The building was designed by the architect Imre Steindl, he got his inspirations from London's Houses of Parliament; it was built in Gothic Revival style with a symmetrical facade and a central dome. It is 268 m long, 123 meters wide across the centre and 96m high; the number 96 refers to the nation’s millennium, 1896, and the conquest of the later Kingdom of Hungary in 896. Statues of Hungarian rulers, Transylvanian leaders and famous military people are on the facade of the building
The first cornerstone was laid in 1884 and the construction works lasted for two decades. It opened in 1902, although it should have been finished by 1896 for the Millennium to celebrate the 1000th anniversary of Hungary's foundation.
After World War II the government uses only a small portion of the building today as the diet became single-chambered. In 1990 a red star was removed from the top of the dome after it was mounted there in the communist regime.
Compare prices on 100's of hotel booking sites at once Hotels in Budapest »
The building is open for visiting, tourists can see frescoes on the ceiling, walk up great ornamental stairs and pass by the bust of the creator, Imre Steindl, in a wall niche. Other statues include those of Árpád, Stephen I and Hunyadi János. Another famous part of the Parliament is the hexadecagonal central hall, with huge chambers adjoining it: the Lower House, where the National Assembly meets today, and the Upper House. The Holy Crown of Hungary, which is also depicted in the coat of arms of Hungary, has been displayed in the central hall since 2000. Further features include the stained glass and glass mosaic paintings by Miksa Róth. Due to its extensive surface and its detailed handiwork, the building is almost always under renovation.
By night the Parliament is illuminated, like other important architectural monuments located on both sides of the Danube. It offers astonishing views while walking on the opposite bank of the Danube or from a boat cruise on the river.
Bookmark and Share